How to know that I have a valid case for the consumer forum?

The Department of Consumer Affairs sets guidelines to determine if you have a valid case for the consumer forum.

As per the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 (CPA), what you can have for a valid consumer complaint to get compensation for your losses:

Grounds for Consumer Complaint under CPA (Section 2(13):

File a complaint, if you’ve faced issues like:

  • Defective Goods or Services: You receive a product that’s faulty, doesn’t match the description, or is unsafe.

  • Deficiency in Services: A service provider fails to deliver the promised service adequately or with negligence.

  • Unfair Trade Practices: The seller/service provider engages in misleading advertisements, false promises, or exploitation of your vulnerability.

  • Charging Excessive Prices: The seller charges a price significantly higher than what’s fair without proper justification.

Who Can File (Section 17):

  • Consumers: If you purchased goods or availed services for personal consumption and not resale.

  • Registered Consumer Associations: These associations can represent a group of consumers facing similar issues.

Jurisdictional Limits (Section 19):

You can appeal to these Consumer Commission through the E-DAAKHIL portal:

  • District Forum: For claimed value up to ₹20 lakhs.

  • State Commission: Deals with claims between ₹20 lakhs and ₹1 crore.

  • National Commission: Addresses claims exceeding ₹1 crore.

Read more: E-DAAKHIL, NCDRC- File Online Complaint to National Consumer Commission (

Tips to make your case stronger:

  • Attach Evidence: Proof of purchase (receipts, bills), communication records with the seller documenting your attempts to resolve the issue, and evidence of the problem (photos, repair estimates, medical reports if relevant).

  • Quantify Losses: If you’ve incurred financial losses due to the faulty product/service, keep records for claiming compensation.

Read: What documents do I need to file a complaint to Consumer Forum?

Please note :exclamation:: The CPA doesn’t cover disputes related to water and electricity bills, banking or insurance services governed by specific regulations, or products purchased for commercial purposes.

For a definitive assessment of your case, you may consult a lawyer specializing in consumer protection law.

Have any questions? Reply with your query