What should you include in your Police FIR?

According to the CrPC (Criminal Procedure Code), here’s what you should include in your FIR (First Information Report):

Complainnant Information:

  • Full Name

  • Address

  • Contact Information (Phone number & Email, optional): While not mandatory, including contact details can help the police reach you for further information (CrPC Section 154(1)(d)).

Details of the Incident:

  • Date and Time of the Incident: As specific as possible (CrPC Section 154(1)(a)).

  • Location of the Incident: Be precise about the place where the incident happened (e.g., a nearby shop name on a particular street or GPS location) (CrPC Section 154(1)(a)).

  • Nature of the Offence: Briefly describe what crime was committed (e.g., theft, assault, etc.) (CrPC Section 154(1)(b)).

  • Description of the Incident: Provide a clear and factual account of what happened. Include details like:

    • How the incident happened
    • What was taken/damaged (if applicable)
    • Any weapons used (if applicable) (CrPC Section 154(1)(c)).
  • Suspect Information (if known): Include names, descriptions, and any other details that can help identify the culprit(s) (CrPC Section 154(1)(c)).

  • Witnesses (if any): Provide names and contact information of any witnesses to the crime (CrPC Section 154(1)(d)).

Additional Information:

  • Any Evidence: Mention any evidence you have related to the crime, like CCTV footage, receipts, etc. (CrPC Section 154(1)(e)).

  • Previous Complaints (if any): If this incident is related to a previous complaint, mention the FIR number for reference (CrPC Section 154(3)).


  • Be truthful and stick to the facts while investigation.
  • Avoid including your opinions or speculations.
  • Proofread the FIR before signing it.

:fist:t6: Note: You have the right to get a copy of the FIR for your records (CrPC Section 154(1)(f)).

Important Note: An FIR can only be filed for a cognizable offence as defined in CrPC Part II (Sections 150 to 293). This refers to crimes where the police have the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant.

If your complaint relates to a non-cognizable offence (listed in CrPC Part III - Sections 294 to 467), you would need to file a private complaint with a magistrate court (CrPC Section 155).

:warning: This is general advice. Before applying any section mentioned here, consult with your lawyer or check recent amendments to the laws or rules.