How can I make power complaints about Reliant Energy?"

If you have complaints regarding power outages, electricity services, billing disputes, or other problems, report your concerns with Reliant Energy customer service or power stations. You may follow these steps:

Contact Customer Care

To address your power complaints with Reliant Energy, you can reach out to the customer care through the following methods:

  • Hotline: Call the customer service number of Reliant Energy at 1866-222-7100 for direct support.
  • Email: Send an email by submitting “online email form” detailing your complaint, and expect a response within 24 hours.
  • Mail: You can send a written complaint to Reliant at P.O. Box 3765, Houston, TX 77253-37651.

Report Power Outages

Hotlines to report power outages (in case of emergency):

  • CenterPoint Energy: 1800-332-7143
  • Oncor: 1888-313-4747
  • AEP Texas: 1866-223-8508
  • Texas-New Mexico Power: 1888-866-7456
  • Lubbock Power & Light: 1806-775-2509

These numbers are provided for customers to report power outages to their respective Transmission and Distribution Service Provider (TDSP) in Texas.

Filing a Complaint Online

Follow these steps to file a complaint online with Reliant Energy:

  • Log in to Your Account: Access your account on the Reliant Energy website.

  • Look for the ‘Help & Support’ section.

  • Choose the ‘Contact Us’ option to find various ways to file a complaint.

  • Choose ‘Report an Outage’: If your complaint is about a power outage, select this option to report it to your TDSP (Transmission/Distribution Service Provider).

  • Fill in the necessary details about your issue and submit the form.

Public Utility Commission

If you need to file a utility complaint against Reliant Energy to the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT), here are the contact details you can use:

  • Phone Number: You can reach PUCT’s Agency Switchboard at 512-936-7000. For assistance hotlines, you can call 888-782-8477.

  • Email: For consumer protection, you can email

  • Online: For more information or to submit a complaint online ( at PUCT website.

  • Mailing Address: Send your written complaints to the Public Utility Commission of Texas, P.O. Box 13326, Austin, TX 78711-33261.

If you want to visit yourself, The PUCT is located at the William B. Travis Building, 1701 N. Congress Ave, Suite 7-110, Austin, TX 787011.

:tipping_hand_man:t5: Tips:

  • Please note that before filing a complaint with the Public Utility Commission, it’s important to understand your rights as a utility customer and the complaint process.
  • If you require further assistance, Reliant Energy’s customer service is available 24/7 by phone and chat.

Still, have questions? :thinking: Ask by replying to us. :point_down:t5:We will help you.