Where to file your water complaints?

Due to the decentralised nature of water management in India, the process for filing water complaints varies depending on your state and locality. These are major administrative structures for water supply in cities and rural regions, where you can complain about the water supply.

Your Local Water Authorities:

  • Municipal Corporations: Responsible for water supply in urban areas.
  • Nagar Panchayats: In some sub-urban cities (tier II and III) to manage water supply.
  • Gram Panchayats: Village councils managing water in rural areas.
  • Urban Local Water Boards (ULWBs) or Water Works/Stations: Manage water supply in some cities.

Filing a Water Complaint:

Once you identify your local authority, you can register your water complaints to respective bodies by using these communication methods (As per the availability):

  • Toll-Free Numbers: Many water boards or authorities have launched water helpline numbers for registering complaints

:tipping_hand_man:t5: Tips: Check the website of the water body/local authority or local directory of the respective district portal (ending with district_name.nic.in or gov.in, for example - https://mumbaicity.gov.in/ or https://bengaluruurban.nic.in/).

  • Official Website: Look for dedicated sections on the online portal for registering water supply complaints online (“complaints,” “grievances”).

  • Mobile Apps: Some cities have apps for registering complaints (check the local authority’s website, for example, Delhi Jal Board/MCD has provided the MCD 311 App).

  • Walk-in Grievance Cell: Most authorities have physical offices for registering complaints in person. Visit the office or nearby water works to raise your ongoing water crisis in your region.

Consumer Forum:

If you think that your consumer rights are violated by these water supply bodies, you may lodge a consumer complaint to the National Consumer Helpline (NCH) or the Consumer Commission (for formal monetary or quality of service disputes).

Know more, How do I write a clear and concise complaint to Consumer Forum?

What to Provide While Lodging a Water Complaint:

  • Your Name and Contact Information: This allows the authority to reach you for updates or clarifications.
  • Specific Description of the Complaint: Clearly state the issue (low pressure, leak, discoloured water, etc.).
  • Location Details: Mention your address, locality, and any relevant landmarks to pinpoint the problem.
  • Account Number (if applicable): This helps the authority access your billing information.
  • Evidence (Optional): Attach pictures or videos if they can visually depict the problem (e.g., leaking pipes, discoloured water).
  • Desired Outcome: Briefly mention what you expect as a resolution (e.g., repair, uninterrupted supply, water quality testing).

After submitting, don’t forget to obtain the reference ID or acknowledgement receipt as proof of your complaint.

State Water Management Bodies:

These state-level bodies oversee water management but might have limited direct complaint channels for individual consumers. They can be helpful for broader water-related issues. You can find their contact information on the state government’s website.

Additionally, you can lodge a public grievance for water scarcity through the state grievance redressal portals to the respective Urban Development Department or State Water Supply and Management Boards.

:point_right:t5: Note: If you have any complaints regarding Jal Jeevan Mission or want to request any specific water services within your region, visit Jal Jeevan Mission (https://jaljeevanmission.gov.in/) portal.

In case of Union Territories or the regions that are administered by the central government, may lodge a public grievance to Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation(jalshakti-dowr.gov.in).

Some Water Supply Bodies:

Most cities obtain water from rivers, lakes, or reservoirs which are supplied by the waterworks managed by local water authorities, which can be municipalities, nagar panchayats, local panchayats, etc.

Here we have provided some examples of major Indian cities, along with water bodies and their helplines to lodge a grievance:

City Local Water Authority Water Helpline
Mumbai Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) 1916
Delhi Delhi Jal Board (DJB) 1916, 1800117118
Bangalore Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB) 1916
Jaipur Rajasthan Water Supply & Sewerage Nigam, Jaipur +911412747400, +911412742900
Chennai Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (CMWSSB) +914445674567; 1916
Ahmedabad Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) 155303

Still, have questions? :thinking: Ask by replying below.

What is the level of water scarcity in your region?

  • High
  • Mild
  • Low
  • No Scarcity
0 voters