How can you file a police complaint or e-FIR to West Bengal Police?

If you want to file a police complaint or e-FIR for cognizable/non-cognizable civil offences (including civil/criminal incidents, theft, illegal activities, and harassment) and issues related to citizen services to West Bengal (WB) Police, follow these steps or use the provided helplines or contact details to file your complaint with West Bengal Police:

Steps to file an online police complaint or e-FIR:

  1. Visit West Bengal Police’s official website (
  2. Navigate to the “Citizen Services” section of the menu.
  3. Click “CCTNS Citizen Services (” to open the e-FIR portal.
  4. To report a crime with CID, open the “CID - Report Crime (” portal.
  5. On the CCTNS portal, log in or register yourself as a citizen.
  6. After successfully logging in, open the online complaint/e-FIR form.
  7. Fill out the form with the required details including:
    • Incident Details: Nature of the incident, victim details, accused details (if known), date, time, and location.
    • Property Details: If applicable, provide details of stolen property or vehicles.
    • Supporting Documents: Attach any relevant documents or media (photos, videos).
    • Complainant Details: Your name, address, and contact information.
    • Preferred Police Station: Specify the police station where you’d like the complaint registered.
  8. Submit the form.

Finally, you will receive a reference number for your complaint/FIR. note down and keep this for future reference. You can also visit the nearest local police station to lodge an FIR with the designated officer or SHO. Don’t forget to obtain a copy of the FIR and acknowledgement receipt.

For technical problems, send an email to

WB Police Helpline Number:

In an emergency, dial 112 (ERSS) or call the police helpline number 100 or local numbers to get help from the nearest local police control room (PCR). To report cybercrimes, call 1930 or lodge your complaint online through the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal.

You can contact the state police control room by calling at +913322145486 / +913324506100. To contact CID, email with all supporting evidence.

Other Helplines:

  • Traffic Police: +913323598289 / +913323594015 or +913323204039 (Headquarters)
  • Vigilance: +913323340507

If your police complaints or case are not resolved, escalate it to higher authorities by re-opening the complaint or contacting the officials. The levels of escalation are:

  1. District Superintendent of Police (SP)
  2. Range Deputy Inspector General of Police (IG)
  3. Zonal Inspector General of Police (IG)
  4. Director General of Police (DGP), West Bengal Police

:tipping_hand_man:t5: Note: If your police complaints or FIRs are not resolved (including citizen services and corruption), lodge a public grievance online through the to the Appellate Officer for West Bengal Police at the Home Department through “WB CMO Public Grievance Monitoring System (PGMS)” portal of the government of West Bengal.

Still, have questions? :thinking: Ask by replying to us. :point_down:

1 Like